Saturday, May 02, 2009

My Date Today

Well I had a long awaited date with Devin today. Devin is the kid from preschool that absolutely captured my heart like no other kid has. I mean, I love all my kids but Devin is something special. More than just a favorite or teacher's pet. But at the same time he was probably my biggest problem child. But I can't help it. When I first started out down here I couldn't stand him. But he chose me it seemed like. Even though I wasn't too fond of him, he was pretty fond of me and after awhile I just fell in love with the little guy. I almost felt like I needed to protect him from the outside world. But anyways, we spent two years being each other's buddies. Even when he moved up to the older class we never really lost that bond. When he went to Kindergarten I cried and cried. More than once. I gave his mom my phone number and we had every intention of getting together sooner than this but you know how it goes. Unless you just do it, there's always something keeping you busy. So finally last week we just did it. Set a date and went with it. So she dropped him off at my house and we headed to Chik-fil-a. If you've never eaten there, you're missing out. They have a playplace and the food is MUCH better than McDonald's. And it's founders/owners are Christian and they play Christian music over the speakers instead of light rock or whatever music fast food places play. And it's always clean too. He was pretty quiet all through lunch but then we went into play and he loosened up real fast.

After an hour or so he was ready to leave so I asked him if we should call his mom. He said he had something he wanted to do. He wanted to go back to the preschool. So we did and he played with all his favorite toys. We were there for a couple hours. I think he could have stayed there all night. He wasn't ready to go but I had some stuff to get done so I took him back home.


I loved every minute of it. I felt like a giddy school girl though when I was getting ready. I was so excited you would have thought I was going on a real date and not out to a fast food restaurant with a five year old.

I love my buddy!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Praise Jesus for good dates! I had Drew and Truitt over while Keri made supper tonight and they put "clippers" (hair clips) in my hair then told me I looked like a Nice Princess! Can't beat that! Have a great week I love you

erin said...

you make such a cute couple! :)

I think that is the first time I got to see a picture of him. What a cutie.

Love ya and can't wait for the wedding!