Monday, September 21, 2009

Snapshots of Home

This might bore some/most/all of you who read it, but it me it's home. It's a few of the things that bring a smile to my face. It's what I grew up with, it's what I know. Oh- and I didn't take these until about 7:00 in the evening so the light wasn't real ideal but since I don't claim any talent in the photography area anyways it should be okay as is. So without further ado....

We have the last of mom's flowers. Most of them are dying off by now but there's still a few going strong. These are some of my favorites.

That's Czar, the dog. Dad bought him from a family who had him fully housetrained. This huge rotweiller dog would sleep with the kids each night. He had a few issues when he moved to a farm in the country but he's pretty well trained to be an outside dog now. But he's not real tough. He's kind of a sissie for being a rotweiller. He was already named when we got him. We don't know why they named him Czar.


This is central Illinois we're talking about here so of course, everywhere you look is corn, corn, corn and more corn. But I like it. I'm pretty dissapointed because I don't think I'm going to be able to go out into the field at all this harvest. Last year I went up one weekend just for that purpose but I just don't think it's going to happen this time around. Too much other stuff going on:(

You'll see lots of this color at my house.

Half the fun of harvest is hopping in the semi, riding to the elevator and getting a bag of free popcorn:)

Don't know if you noticed but the logo on the truck said Hodel Turkey Farm. That's right folks, I grew up on a turkey farm.

With lots and lots of turkeys.


Now we have pigs too but they're not on the farm and I didn't drive over to the barns to take a picture. But everyone says pigs smell terrible and yeah, they do smell. But turkey's have a pretty intense smell too. Sometimes it's not too bad but sometimes I pull in the drive, step out of my car and it about burns my nose it's so strong. One time my dad went to a turkey convention and brought back a t-shirt for me. It said "Turkey's make wonderful friends" and had a picture of a turkey on it. I thought I was pretty cool. I was wearing it the very first time I got in trouble at school. I was in kindergarten and since I was so cool because of that shirt, I could run in the classroom, right? Wrong. Mrs. Norman, in front of everybody, said "Sarah, we don't run in school." I was devastated. No longer was I hot stuff with my turkey shirt. It was a tough lesson:)
My favorite snapshot of home is not because of what the picture looks like, rather what's going on in the picture. I had some good bonding time with my sweet little niece. We played on the swings and walked all around the farm. I left then to go into town and she was already so attatched that she cried! But it didn't last long because today at church she wasn't lunging for me or anything. She was still cute though.


Well, that's my home. There's a song that I like to belt out every time it comes on the radio.

I feel no shame I'm proud of where I came from I was born and raised in the boondocks. One thing I know no matter where I go I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah Jo - We love you SO MUCH!! Not to be sappy, but I am now in tears.

God bless you! We love you!

Dad and Mom

Mandy said...

This made me really miss home. Thanks alot Sarah! JK I miss you! Love ya lots!

Erin said...

Well until the nex time we meet. Oh, I'm wearing your shoes right now. I'm gonna get good use out of them while I have them!!!

Anonymous said...

Guess I am sappy too, because I have tears as well. I love ya Sarah! Loved your post and pics. And if you get too lonesome for the country, you could always move home :) I know of one little girl who would love lots more bonding time with her aunt.

Jamie

JK said...

Hola chica!

Ready to have some bonding time with me in the Mexican desert? (Not many flowers or corn stalks here I'm afraid.)

See you Thursday!! I can hardly wait!

Angie said...

I saw you getting up from your table at the reception and was going to come say bye...but the kid was getting crabby. SO...I figured you would be ok. I thoroughly enjoyed our time spent together this weekend!

Erin said...

What a fun post, but i'm not gonna lie the turkey pics totally freaked me out. Yuck birds... just thinking about them gives me the heebie jeebies. Its good to see pics from podunk:) Have a great week I love you

Cassie said...

wow sarah. Your family sure loves you:)

Anonymous said...

Sap must run in the family cuz even yer dad got misty eyed. Glad you like your old home. you can come any time, even for good if you want.

smashed my finger this eve working on the combine. hurts