Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Magdalena Trip

Well I'm finally getting around to updating this. I left for Mexico last Thursday morning, almost a week ago. After waking up at 3:30 in the morning, I was out the door and on the way to Birmingham by 3:50. Since I don't have a printer, I couldn't print out my boarding pass so I had to wait until I got to the airport. Southwest does seating on a first come first serve basis and so by the time I got my boarding pass I ended up with the middle seat of the very back row of the plane- right next to Chatty Cathy. She was awfully perky for having that early of a flight. But thankfully so were the people across the aisle from her so she was able to talk to them while I just went to sleep. I had a connection in Midway which was kind of weird. So many times Chicago has been where I fly out of rather than where I connect. I met up with Katrina at MDW and we were on our way! Our flight was from MDW to Tuscon and unbeknownst (great word, huh?) to us, it was also scheduled to stop in Denver. So after everyone else deplaned, I woke up from nap number two, snapped a picture, and we were back on our way to TUS.

Joel and Kristi picked us up at the airport. We ate a delicious lunch at Olive Garden and ran a few errands before going to CVE. When we stopped to get our visas, we saw Duane and Ann Wulf who were moving to Magdalena that day! It was fun to see them there but I felt bad for them. They had been travelling for four days and were so ready to just be there. We got to CVE right at supper time. Thursday night I went to bed at 9:00 and didn't wake up until 8:30 the next morning. It was great. Friday we went to see the ranch. It was a lot bigger than what I had pictured. Right now it's kind of boring because there's really nothing there yet but eventually it's gonna be a really cool place.


We took the Wulf boys with us so Ann could have a few hours to unpack in peace. They are quite the boys! Axel is 9, Zach is 8, Garrett is 7 and Marshall is 4. 100% boys. I guess the four days of travelling wore out Marshall because he conked pretty quick. They were fun though. We ate lunch there and stayed a couple hours while they boys chased lizards.

Thursday night we went to Momo's for tacos. All I have to say about that is MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good stuff.

Saturday morning 18 of us piled into one of the vans and headed to a place where there was a hot spring and a waterfall to play in. You can read more about that here if you want but here's a couple pictures anyways.
This was before anyone got sick and had to pull over:( It was about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive on those really windy roads. Not exactly a relaxing drive.
There wasn't much of a waterfall but there was an icy cold pool of water and a sandy area that the kids had fun with.

Sunday supper somehow included me and Katrina in the kitchen. That was Nicole's doings. Everything turned out pretty tasty I thought but I underestimated on the chicken and we barely had enough. Not very AC of me.

Unfortunately Monday morning was time to say our goodbye's. You could say I wasn't super thrilled to leave. I tell people that it wasn't this hugely awesome mountain top experience or anything, but I really liked just being there and living Joel and Kristi's life for a few days. I loved just being able to be with them to. Like I almost forgot how much I just adore Kristi (okay- and Joel, too) and how much I miss her. Thanks guys for being such great hostesseseseseses. You are one crazy couple, that's for sure! Watching you make beans was almost too much for me. I don't know if I'd be able to handle watching you make salsa next time;) Love you both so much!

Bill took us back up to TUS where we flew together to Las Vegas before parting our separate ways. Katrina back to Chicago and me back to Birmingham. This here is probably the closest I'll ever get to the Vegas strip!

My flight landed a little before midnight, I got home about 1:45, in bed at 2:15 and layed awake until almost 3:00. I was dreading work that morning but thankfully it turned out to be not as bad as I thought. I was actually more tired today than I was yesterday. But it was well worth it! Oh- and while we were running errands on Thursday, we stopped by a sporting goods store so Joel could get some new cleats for playing soccer. Which reminded me that I was looking to get some new tennies. So while I was there, why not? It was quite the dilemma deciding between two different pairs but this is what I ended up with. They work like a charm!

And that was my trip in a nutshell. So good to be with J&K, so good to be with Katrina, so good to just get away for a few days.

9 comments:

Raquel said...

aaawwwwwww you look like you had a wonderful time! great pics! :-]

sarah.flyingkites said...

Thanks for the Magdalena update!

Makes me want to go back - only for MoMo's of course(Kidding, just kidding).

Hope you are adjusting back into real life again!

Erin said...

I Love chatty Cathy's when I just want to sleep on travel days. AND I noticed you were wearing your Alabama shirt. Roll Tide!:) Now that you traveled to Mexico I am ready for you to come see me! I hope you have a great week. Love and Blessing
O. Cute kicks too!

Erin said...

so i laughed at the beans and salsa comment. i think i need to go down to watch then make beans. it was good to talk Tuesday cuz it's better to hear all about it from you rather than read it on your blog. love ya tons and tons and tons....

Cassie said...

cool

Cassie said...

pshhh.....like you're gonna tell me you're "let down".....you didn't give me time to blog! I blogged! But now I am tired and going to (yawn) sleep.....

JK said...

FYI - I made salsa yesterday. It's a good thing you weren't here...it might have been a little too exciting for you. :)

Steph said...

It was great to have you down for a bit, Sarah! Maybe next time we'll try to take a day trip that doesn't involve so many curvy roads for those of us with weak stomachs... ;)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,I so enjoyed your blog on you
trip to Magdelena I just read Kristi's also. These blogs make it
a wonderful way to keep up with you
who are so far away.