Monday, August 03, 2009

Athens Invite????

Well now. Back in March the singles/young couples decided we wanted to plan an Athens Invite. We were really excited about it because we always talk about having one but never really get anywhere. So we set a date and started inviting and planning. Turns out, almost everyone that said they would come at first, didn't. At first it was a little dissapointing, but it turned out okay. See, Kentucky Lake is the Hodel family's favorite vacation spot. And while most of us haven't really been able to go the last couple years, there is one aunt and uncle that still make it. My cousin Jared was here from Denver for the "invite" and it just so happens that his family was in KY for the week. Since we were only a few hours away and he wouldn't be able to go at all otherwise, we decided to skip out on the "invite". And I was excited.

I went up to Tennessee to where Jared was staying- we were planning to stay there and eat supper with the few others that came and then head up to KY. I said "Do your parents know we're coming?" He said that yes, they did. Then someone else said "Do they know that Jake and Tucker are going?" I laughed, and then there was an awkward pause. OH! Well suprise, suprise, suprise. Yes, Jake and Tucker really were going. This was news to me. But it all turned out good and we had a great time. I dropped them off at the Nashville airport this afternoon on my way back to Athens.

We did the normal things we usually do in Kentucky. Lay on rafts, lay on the beach, read books, play a few games, eat a LOT of food, and of course, go out on the boat. Now, me and skiing aren't really the best of friends. It took me about 5 summers before I finally got up on skis and once I did, that was it. I accomplished my goal, I got up on skis, congratulations to me, woo hoo, I don't need to keep skiing. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. Ever since then I have been bugged and bugged by my dad and my uncle Ed to get back out and try. And every year I just sit in the boat and watch others go do their thing. This year, something got into me. I was out with my aunt and uncle and Jared and decided I would just try again. And you know what? I did it!!!!

And it was fun! For my family, who may not believe me, that is really me on those skis. I, Sarah, GOT UP!!!!


For about 20 seconds.


But I did have fun doing it and if I ever make it back to KY, I believe I will try again. It's not a problem of getting up. It's more that once I'm up, I'm too scared to stand so I just let go and make myself fall.

Kristi, we really really really missed you. I kind of felt guilty for your parents sake because I wasn't you and they wanted you there so bad. But we did have fun and....... maybe next year?

6 comments:

Erin said...

You look AMAZING out there on those skis! Good Job You! The ravs were great. I finished off the last of the cooked ravs today but still have frozen ones that have yet to be cooked. Yum! ... looking for motivation then I will respond to your email... and all the others I need to reply to...soon come ya hear? Love you! Have a great week!

Angie said...

Gah! Sarah up on skis? What a feat! I must say I was jealous of your weekend. Specially since mine was spent training my child to sleep :)
I miss you. When do you come home next? I still think you need to re-think Wisconsin Dells with the Brad Hodel fam...it would be a blast. And I would love to go down a double ride with you. It would be sweeeeet.
Ok.
The End.

Karen and Joe said...

awesome!!! You got up, no matter the whole 20 secs detail, you got up!! that's awesome!! what a fun weekend

Erin said...

Sarah, I need to call you. My phone didn't even ring last night, it just went voicemail. I know, sad. Anyways I'm so jealous of Kentucky. And I laughed out lound when I heard Jake and Tucker went too. That is just too hilarious. I almost called Sun. about 10:30 and interupt church... :) But I didn't. I'm glad you went though, and I miss kentucky, but mostly I miss you. ANd Kristi. *sigh* I know life changes but sometime I wish we were little again and all living right here and having no responsibility. I love you and I'll call you soon.

Rebekah Hoffman said...

Sarah!! Congratulations on skiing!! That is so exciting. Maybe if you do it a little more often you won't be quite as nervous and will enjoy it more :-) You looked great out there!!

JK said...

*Sigh*

...This post makes me jealous...

...This post makes me homesick...

...This post makes me jealous AND homesick...

But I love you anyway :)