Sunday, July 12, 2009

VBS

What a weekend. In the past few years Athens church has decided that instead of doing VBS every night for a whole week, it would be easier and more fun to do an overnight thing on a weekend. The last three years we've just gone to the Tennessee Fellowship Center and camped out. This year we found a church camp in Talladega, AL called Shocco Springs went there for the weekend. We were able to rent almost a whole building with a conference room so we could use the camp facilities but also could be alone in the evenings and for our talks. We also decided this year to do our VBS with Atlanta and that turned out to be a great decision. We have a few Athens-Atlanta connections but never really have a chance to all be together. It was so good to be with them and get to know them. They have a really neat group over there. We had a weekend filled with fun, lots of food and some very sweet fellowship. Our theme for the weekend was Noah's Ark. I have to admit I wasn't sure how we were going to be able to spend that much time talking about Noah's Ark but it was really neat. I know you won't really be able to see anyone but here's a group shot. I think we had around 90-100 between the two churches.

Our first free time on Saturday was filled with volleyball. My team won every game! Not because of me though. I just kinda of run around acting like I'm preparing to hit the ball if it comes to me. It usually doesn't come to me and if it does usually what happens is someone ends up hitting it for me or I completely biff. Once in awhile if I'm really lucky I'll get a good hit. But I can take no credit for my team winning.
The dining hall- we had heard rave reports about the food but I'm pretty sure we all liked the homemade treats a whole lot better that we had stashed in our conference room:)


The lake had a lot of fun stuff to do but we found out a little too late that we have to reserve a time slot ahead of time. Oh well- we'll know for next year.

We played lots of games during our free time. A few of us learned a new game called Ticket to Ride. I think it's my new favorite. I just might go out and buy it. I just thought our board looked so fun when it was finished. The green train is mine.

This here is not group prayer time- it's grab the rag. Fun game. Simple enough that anyone can play, but tense enough that it's not boring.

Saturday night we trekked through the woods for singin and s'mores around the campfire. It was hot hot hot. Hot weather mixed with hot fire makes for some hot sweaty people.
Sunday after church we changed, loaded up, ate one more delicious dining hall lunch and took off. Gwen Luethold from Nashville had come down with me and Jena and we decided that on the way back this is what we would do.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Oh yes. We did. And it was great. I've never really been a NASCAR person but the speedway was really really cool. We all said it made us want to go to a race. I probably never will. But it kinda sounds fun now.
While we were waiting for our tour to start we browsed the gift shop. And ya know, only at at NASCAR museum gift shop in Alabama could you find these. If you can't read it, Jena's mug says Bubba and mine says Bud. We laughed and laughed when we found those!
During the tour we got to stop and take our pictures at Victory Lane, where all the winning drivers get their pictures taken for the press. The tour guide said that's how all the girls pose. Hence the awkward stance. Good thing it's far away and you can't see us very well.

The grandstands.

And the finish line.

So-it was a great weekend. We're all looking forward to next year already. Hopefully we'll all be able to get together again next summer. It was so refreshing! But now I am very very tired. I'm about to eat supper then I'll probably nod off soon after that.

4 comments:

Karen and Joe said...

Holy Cow what a fun weekend! I'm sure you are better at volleyball than you say, if you won all your games! And we are jealous about the whole NSCAR thing, that would be sooo fun!!

ginny said...

Big fan of Ticket to Ride...we should play next time your in IL AND come to Gridley! :)

Angie said...

in your bud and bubba picture you look like your dad

he he

Erin said...

Sarah! I feel like its been so long I have been at Mobay and with no computer but so glad I am now able to catch up. So which cup did you get bubba or bud? The pictures were Hilarious! I loved them. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.