Sunday, April 02, 2006

No More Fleeing

Yes, it's true. I plan on staying around for awhile now. Unfortunately. Not that I don't love all you home folk. Cause I really do. But I also really like this fleeing the country stuff. But since the funds are low and Jacob's Ladder is calling my name, I suppose it's best to just stay put for awhile. So I had a good time in Florida. I was really glad I decided to swing by for a couple days. And yes, we do still want to move there.
Jamaica was awesome. There were 32 or 33 of us on the team. I felt like we were really united the whole week and we really had a good time with each other. I love seeing all the kids in Kingston. They're just the best. And I really love my two kids that I sponsor. One is a very sassy, spunky 14 year old girl. But she's also a lot of fun and does know how to be sweet. The other is an 11 year old boy who is a little shy and has more of a quiet personality until you get him with his buddies. Then he's a typical little boy. But he's really sweet and does a good job taking care of his sister who is also there at the school. And he is a really good helper when we're working. I know I'm not supposed to be proud, but I was proud of him.
We did some cement work but there was a huge shortage of cement in the country so we only had enough for one morning's worth of work. It was sad. I love cement work. We make some drawers for the kid's dorms because theirs were shot. We did a little bit of painting. We got a second story floor all ready to pour for whenever there's no longer a cement shortage. We put a new tin roof on the pavillion where we all congregate. Then we did all kinds of odds and ends jobs. Had our traditional pizza party with the kids. 50 pizza's.
Friday was our trip to Ocho Rios/Dunns River Falls. I haven't been there in 4 years so it was fun to go back again. I got to take both my kiddos with me. Cassandra and Rushedie are their names. I didn't get a whole lot at the straw market. I do that every time. Get maybe one or two small things then later when it's too late wish I would have gotten more. Oh well. Cassandra ditched me and went up the falls 5 times. I'm a chicken. A slow chicken. So I barely made it up once and that was enough for me. I think if I would have gone again I would have been okay but I was feeling pretty unstable and petrified and so I just stayed on the beach and played with Rushedie and some of the other students that went with us for the rest of the time.
Friday night was the Hands of Praise team program which is always a tear jerker. I somehow didn't cry this time when the did "Thank You" but I did cry during a song called "The Midnight Hour". I think that's the name of it. I really liked it and they got really into it. It gave me a longing for heaven. Then one of our team members tried to get us to stay up all night. I made it till about 2:30 and decided it was dumb because I really wanted sleep. So I went to bed until about 4:15 before we got up to go to the airport. I thought I was going to be alone the whole day in all those airports that I was going to but I found out Friday that 4 other people had the same schedule as me. I was really thankful that they were there so I wouldn't be so lonely. But then we split in Chicago cause their car was there but I was going onto Bloomington. So after we said goodbye I was roaming through O'Hare, feeling a little lost and very sad and lonely with my face all screwed up to try and keep from bawling. But then my brother called me and that put me in a better mood. I finally got home about quarter till 11. That was one long day.
Tonight we had communion in Roanoke. It was good. But we had to cut it just a tiny bit short because of tornado warnings and we all went to the basement for awhile. But now I'm finally back home. I guess it is home sweet home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeaaaaah you're home. glad to hear your trip went good... prayed for ya.

Maryann said...

I so wish I could have been there with you. My heart has been aching to go back.

Anyone from our team two years ago?

No cement work? Now that makes me very sad--that was indeed the best. :-) Did you sing as much without me?

Anonymous said...

Well I am glad you arrived safely home and it was good to see you again...hopefully we can get together sometime soon and you can show me pics when you get them and tell me ALL about the trip. By the way never type in yellow again. It is really hard to read! Love ya lots and I missed ya while you were gone!

megs said...

i'm glad you're home safe!! now you and the rest of the queenwood girls should come over for supper sometime before you flee the country again!!

Luke said...

Hi