Monday, October 24, 2005

Shoulda called in sick

When I woke up this morning I was seriously contemplating calling in sick. No I was not actually sick enough to miss work although I did cough all weekend long. But I really didn't feel completely up to par. And I have a ton of sick days racked up because after working at a daycare for five years I have this incredible immune system and I never really get more than a little sniffle or sore throat. Plus I was just really tired because I got to bed about 1:30. (I leave my house at 6:30.) But feeling guilty I pressed on and went to work. Even when I was driving to work I thought about calling in, turning around and going back to bed. But I didn't. I should've. The kids were pretty cranky just because it was Monday. And there's this one little boy who makes the room a completely different place. He's moving up to the next room on Monday and I can't wait. It's just a lot more peaceful when he's not in the room. But this same little boy is the on who has a habit of bringing me his poop in his hand to let me know he needs to be changed. Very frustrating. I went on break today and when I got back I thought the smell of poopy seemed a lot stronger than usual. I looked over and this boy has handfulls of it and is smearing it all over the wall!!!!! I about went ballistic. Partially because I was mad at him, partially because I was even more mad at my assistant teacher. Who, from where she was sitting, had a good view of the whole room but was too oblivious and too into her conversation with the girl covering my break to notice what was going on. And also because even though she's the one who does morning diapers, left me to clean up the kid who had it caked everywhere and even managed to get some on me. I had to bite my tongue pretty hard on that one. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have two workshops this week which means I get comp time. And my boss scheduled me tomorrow to only work from 7-10. So hopefully it's an easy breezy day. And if it's not, I can hack three hours. I hope....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my day was pretty long. Well school wasn't bad at all. I actually completely enjoyed it, but then I got to work. I am at that stage where my eyes go cross eyed and I can't focus because I am so tired. Stupid stupid stupid...but I did sleep like a log. I am getting extremely used to that couch. :) I heard you leave this morning. It was like quite and all of a sudden asldkjfaklsjghr down the stairs and there goes Sarah flying out the door. I was laughing! :) Love ya and I'll see ya soon! e

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that me and Robey are now faithful readers. So watch what you say...

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah,

YUK!! What a day. Does this child do this often? You say he is leaving your room soon? I'm sure you love him, but won't miss such things. Come home tomorrow after work and I will give you some 7-up in your green glass for your poor, shattered nerves.
I love you and God bless you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

oh soo funny, but boy that stinks.Literally.
Yeah for Anti bacterial soap
Boo for little boys and poop

Hope your week goes "less poopy" :)

Los

kersh said...

SICK. It makes for an interesting life, but wow that is downside of little kids (the whole diaper thing).
Got to love 'em.
Hope this week is shaping up.

Morgan said...

I love my office job. Sure it's boring and I have clients hang up on me, but, after reading your post, I don't think I'd trade it for the world!

Anonymous said...

You know the whole playing w/ your feces doesn't end once a kid grows up... i worked at a nursing home and there was this certain gent. who would consistently dig out his feces and put them on his crackers that he had at his bedside for a snack... i'm not kidding... just hope you die before you get dementia too bad :-) you never know what you'll do!!!