Saturday, October 08, 2005

Randomness

At work if a kid gets hurt we have to fill out an accident report saying what happened, the treatment and then the teacher and the director have to sign it. Sometimes we miss an "owie" or just forget about one and never write up a report. This morning one of the moms dropped off her kids and asked if I had a report from the day before for her little boy who is in my room. (Who happens to be one of my favorites.) I stared at her with a blank look on my face because I didn't know what happened to him. She said "Well, we had to go to the doctor last night because his elbow was out of joint." As soon as she said it I knew exactly when it happened. It was one of those freak things that would take too long to explain how it happened but I was thinking why did it have to be me and not another teacher. She doesn't know it was me but I do and I've kinda been beating myself up all day over the whole thing. I really don't abuse my kids. I feel absolutely horrible about it all. Tonight I went to the Midwest Food Bank to package boxes to send to hurricane victims. It was the first time I had been there and it was pretty cool. I like to think that the boxes we put something a little extra or fun in is a specific answer to somebody's prayer. Maybe not, but in the perfect world that I have in my head, it is. Today was soup and pie day at the church that the daycare is at. We love soup and pie day because the daycare buys us all a meal. So we all fill our trays with whatever our hearts desire and never really worry about the money, calories or about looking like pigs. Because it only happens once a year and it's really good food. I had a BBQ sandwich, a cup of chili, a big piece of chocolate cake and a Pepsi. And I ate every last bite. It was (in the words of my grandma) scrumpdillyicious. I'm really getting in the mood for Christmas music. It happens every year about this time. I always try to wait until after Thanksgiving but I don't know if I've ever actually made it that long. I'm thinking I'll break it out just for a quick fix, then I'll be okay for the next couple months. Until everybody else agrees that Christmas music is appropriate. I personally could listen to it almost all year long. I had to have a quick fix back in July and that held me over until now. I walked into my house tonight and it didn't feel a whole lot warmer than it felt outside. It's about 65 in our house right now. So really it's about 20 degrees warmer that outside I guess. But we're a bunch of cheapos here at Queenwood and the heater usually doesn't go on until it's an Arctic blast in this place. Once it get's to be about 50 in the house we'll finally turn it on. For now we'll just layer ourselves with lots of clothes and blankets. Tomorrow I'm headed to Taylor for Wes and Shanes' baptism. I'm excited. I really like the whole travelling thing but I'm really ready for a weekend when there's nothing going on. I hope that doesn't show a sign of aging. I'll just refer to it as "maturing". Have a good weekend everybody!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christmas music... for the first time since i moved out, I'm SOOOO glad i'm not living there. I just told one of my roommates a couple days ago, how I'm not a huge C-mas music fan and i said "like when they're playing it already at Thanksgiving"... you're about a month and a half too early for even that!
I hate feeling responsible for the freak accidents... my heart goes out to you dear sarah...
cold house... yes i feel your pain. right now, i have one 4 layers including two hoodies... and two pairs of shocks (one of which i wear snowboarding) and i'm still cold. Hopefully people in Taylor will have their heat on...see you this weekend (and maybe we can share a twin)

Anonymous said...

I knew everything in that blog except the cold house. How boring. I'm at your apt. right now so I'm going to go! Love ya and thanx for eating lunch with me. I really appreciated it! ~Erma

kersh said...

I am so ready for Christmas music...my disapointment last week was the roomie taking down our christmas tree and lights. I was really looking forward for a three month christmas season--at least I can still listen to Christmas music on the head phones!

The Hunting Lodge is freezing! it is going to be a long winter--I feel your pain.