Monday, August 05, 2013

R.I.P. Giant Chicken Statue

Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time travelling on Route 24 between Illinois and Indiana knows the giant chicken statue.  Many a carload has stopped for a photo opportunity with it.  This past weekend, after yet another trip to IN, the passengers of the car I was in collectively decided to stop and take pictures of some of the well known places along the road home, including the giant chicken.  Actually, it's a rooster, but everyone calls it a chicken.  Two of us have already had our Kodak moment with the statue, but the third had only viewed the attraction as a passer-by.  As we came upon the place of the statue, we were horrified to see that it was gone!  Truly, it is the end of an era.  There was nothing to do but pay our respects and continue on our journey.  It is our hope that the giant chicken statue is only being repaired and will one day return to it's proper place.  But until then, we will look back with fond memories.  Rest in peace, giant chicken statue.
 

1 comment:

Jamy said...

So after your comment on my blog, I discovered your blog! I have seen this chicken on several different occasions & am pretty sure that if I dig far enough, I'd find a photo with the famous rooster! So sad that Illinois trademark is no longer :(