Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cedar Closet Treasures

While cleaning out the cedar closet, my mom found this gem of a shirt.  It was mine, back when I was about 5 years old.  I know I've mentioned on here before that my dad raises turkeys, and I acquired this particular shirt after one of his turkey conventions.  Yes, such a thing exists:)  And I felt cool.  If you can't read it, it says "Turkeys make wonderful friends".  I mean, who WOULDN'T feel cool in a shirt like that??? 
 
 
 
 
My mind travelled back to Kindergarten, when, while wearing it one day, I was quite confident that I was the coolest girl in the classroom.  The shirt made me feel a little on the invincible side.  I ask again, who WOULDN'T feel invincible in a shirt like that????  Because I had such confidence, I was sure I could do whatever I wanted in the classroom, just so long as I was wearing that shirt.  So one day, I decided to get from point A to point B by running, which, as is common in most classrooms, is a big no-no.  But not worries- I was wearing my awesome sweatshirt.  All was well until my teacher, Mrs. Norman, said above the noise of the classroom in a very sing-song, teacher-ish voice, "Sarah, we don't run in school"! 
 
I felt utterly deflated.  Devastated.  Confused, even.  I had just gotten reprimanded in front of my whole class.  While wearing my turkey shirt!  All of a sudden that shirt didn't make me feel so invincible.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I might have even been a little nervous to wear it again the next time because it stirred up those memories.  Now there's another generation that fits into that shirt.  Judging by her reaction to my request that she model it for me, I think it's safe to say she will not be experiencing any embarrassing moments in Kindergarten because of the turkey shirt!
 

No comments: