Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Mundane Life

Well not a whole lot has happened since last Monday but I see it's been a week now since I posted.  All that is about to change though.  Harvest started already.  It's still not quite going full force yet but most of the guys are in the field some.  Which means my job is about to start!  I went in a couple times last week and am going in tomorrow all day.  Next week I'll start full time.  Then until harvest is over my life will consist of purely school and the elevator.  Except for maybe Friday nights.  I don't think I'll be working Friday nights.  Well, and Sundays of course.  I really don't mind though.  It's a pretty fun job. 
So far so good with school, too.  I think both classes I will enjoy somewhat but both are going to take a lot of work.  Especially this week in Anatomy when we're doing basic chemistry stuff.  I've never had a chem class in my life.  It's only one chapter thank goodness.  I'm not too fond of it.  I'm excited to actually get into the differnt systems of the body.  That I'm interested in.
I think I'll like my Spanish class too.  Last week after the first one I left feeling completely overwhelmed and thinking it was hardly worth it.  This week I'm feeling a lot better and more excited about it.  I've already made a couple friends in there too.  One whose wife is an OT and is more than willing to help me in getting my observation hours done and one who is from Cullman, AL of all places!  Cullman is about 45 minutes south of Athens so we were pretty excited to make that connection.

*Sidenote:  Right now we have a guy from Haiti living with us.  He first came eight or so years ago through the Haitian Hearts program.  You may or may not have heard of it.  Basically we were his host family while he came to the states for heart surgery.  About a month ago he finally got a visa (after numerous other tries) and is here to stay for a few months.  His name is Steve.  Actually his name is Mike Steevens Domonique but we'll just go with Steve.  So if you read something about Steve, that's who you're reading about.


*Another sidenote:  Since being here he has really taken to the black culture that we have in the states and tries so hard to be like that.  He loves hip hop and always tries to dress like a rapper.  Problem is, all he can find around our house is old seedcorn hats and even older electronics to do the job.  Today he is sporting a seedcorn hat while jamming to songs on someone's reealllly old walkman!  I love him!

3 comments:

Angie said...

I'm glad you loved him earlier :) Later was a different story haaa ha ha! He thinks he's so cool.
I am thoroughly enjoying walks with Sarah and I hope you have a great time at work tomorrow!

PS How was that for a comment?

Anonymous said...

I remember Steve! Hey, hope all is going well for you ... I'd LOVE to chat sometime and catch up since you're back in IL. (still unsure about this timing ... when you move back, I move away!) I'll be praying for you!

Love ya - Nicole W

dan and tess said...

Oh my goodness! That's Steve?!?! The guy your parents would always visit in Haiti?!?! He's so grown up! Wow.