Monday, July 05, 2010

Blind/Deaf/Mute

History tidbit for the day:  Hellen Keller was born in Tuscumbia, AL, about an hour from Athens.  Friday night some of us went over there to watch "The Miracle Worker" play.  They show it all summer long, right in her old backyard.  We didn't get there in time to go through her house (bummer) but the play was really cool.  I had seen the movie when I was in grade school.  If you've ever seen it, this is the dining room scene where Anne Sullivan first confronts Helen's parents and then proceeds to spend the entire morning locked in the dining room trying to train Helen to be civilized.  It was really touching and the young girl who played Helen did an incredible job. 



Saturday night we went out to eat at Dreamland BBQ.  I think it was voted the best rib place in America or something like that.  I honestly don't think I would agree but it was good and a fun experience.  The waiter took our picture and the flash was off and he didn't let it focus first so it's blurry.  But we made sure to have BBQ sauce all over our faces before he snapped it:)


While there, we had some very strict instructions:


Sunday evening we went to Mark & Bekah's for supper where a baggo tournament ensued.  It was pretty intense.  The final game was down to me and Amber vs. Kerwin and LeaAnn.  It was 20 to 20.  (You play to 21.)  It was my turn to throw and unfortunately the pressure got to me and I lost it for our team:(  Either the pressure or I just threw bad.


Speaking of LeaAnn, she's our extra roommate for a month this summer.  She's doing her internship here at the preschool and it's been great having her here!


We shot off a few fireworks, most of which turned out to be duds.  I was nervous the whole time.  Ever since a little boy from Athens got killed by one a few years ago, I haven't been a fan of shooting off my own.  Especially with kids around.  But everybody was safe.


Tonight we're going to watch the Athens fireworks.  Since so many people go to church on Sunday evenings they decided to shoot them off tonight instead.  So the celebrating coninues I guess....

4 comments:

Boni said...

Sounds like a good weekend Sarah. You've made some true friends down there & I'm thinking it will be hard for you to leave for good but I'm sure looking forward to seeing your pretty face more often. Love you!

Erin said...

Good Job taking so many pictures! Gold star for you! I hope you have a super week! Love and Blessings

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raquel said...

aaww you guys look like you're having so much fun! please give bekah, katie, emily, leaann, cassie, and whoever else i missed hugs for me. haha!
xoxox