Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Most Blessed Weekend:)

Before I start sharing my most blessed weekend, the answer to the trivia question in the last post is marijuana.  I know, awesome, right? 


Okay, now for the weekend.  Which, if you haven't gathered by now was most blessed:)  Fourty something of us from Athens and Atlanta met up again for our second VBS weekend together.  We headed down to Talladega, AL to a place called Shocco Springs where they can house over 1000 people who come there at any given time for their church camps, retreats and such.  Friday after work we had pouring down rain right when we were ready to leave.  In their haste to get into the car and out of the driving rain, Cassie and LeaAnn both ended up in my backseat and rather than getting back out of the car they decided to both stay back there.  I had made some mini cupcakes for the weekend and they looked so pretty.  But between running through the rain, the humidity and whatever else, the frosting fell off and a lot of them fell over.  I wasn't going to share with anyone until we got down there but since they were already dilapitated, we decided to break them out right away since we were already hungry.  I was concentrating on driving and so they took it upon themselves to reach into the front seat for the cupcakes.  It started our weekend out on a good and fun note:)



Once we got there, we spent Friday evening getting settled and rekindling some of the friendships we made from last years VBS.  Saturday morning after a way too early breakfast, we successfully took a group picture.  Fun fact:  the man in the back row in the middle with his head kind of cocked backwards grew up with and was good friends with Alan Jackson.  Somehow through association that pretty much makes me famous, doesn't it?



Saturday morning we had our seperate VBS classes.  The adults on one side of the room and us with the kiddos on the other side.  Most of the kids we had were from Atlanta and they were a great group of kids.  Super cute, sweet and smart.  After lunch we were able to go to the lake.  The very fun lake with two trampolines, a ginormous slide two moonwalk/plank things, a blob and two floating iceberg things.  We had to reserve a time and they only give each group an hour so the fun was shortlived but it was great.





Then we played some fierce games of volleyball before cleaning up, having our afternoon talk and eating supper.


After supper we had our evening program.  We had the kids act out our story during class (the theme was the Good Samaratin) then taught them a song.  We did those two things for everyone and there was another skit put on by some of the older kids before we all split up into groups to do a quick skit.  All having something to do with the theme.  Here's us and our kiddos that we had. 


We finished off our evening with games and fellowship.  I spent my time at the euchre table.  Including one of the funnest games of euchre I've ever played.  Me and Cassie vs. two high school guys from Atlanta.  I won't even try to explain the funniness of it all.  When it was getting late and everyone was tired but not wanting the night to end yet, Cassie decided we should have a bubble blowing contest.  I nearly barfed before I got my gum chewed up but it was worth it in the end becuase I didn't do too bad in the contest:)


Sunday after church we had some time to kill so we played some mini golf,


played on this fun contraption at the playground,


and played a couple rounds of knockout.


After lunch we all just hung around, not really wanting to say our goodbye's, not really wanting to leave the friends we rarely see.  Now I'm exhausted but it was well worth it.  The whole weekend was- you guessed it- most blessed:)  A great reminder of what it means to be a good neighbor in our daily lives, awesome fellowship and lots of just plain fun!

4 comments:

Rebekah Hoffman said...

Sounds so awesome, Sarah!!! :-) :-)

Angie said...

Sounds great :) Just so you know, I did not see the last post about the trivia or I would've guessed. But I doubt I would've guessed that! I really enjoyed this post, you sound like you had so much fun! Miss you tons and counting the days!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, what a great week-end. Makes
me wish I was there

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.