Sunday, April 18, 2010

Feeling Bittersweet

Thinking about moving back to Illinois has been really bittersweet all along.  This weekend was maybe a little more bitter than sweet.  Friday night I went to Devin's tee ball game.  I knew two other boys on the team- one that used to come to preschool and one whose younger sister comes there now.  Also I've gotten more familiar with other parents (besides Devins) because the same kids who play tee ball with him also played basketball with him over the winter.  So I've gotten to the point where I feel pretty comfortable just sitting on the bleachers with these people.  After the game I met up with everyone else from church at Wendy's, along with Ryan and Hope who had come down to visit for the weekend.  While we were there I saw two more families that I knew.  It's easy to feel like I have a place at the preschool and at the church.  That's just kind of a given.  But Friday night I also really felt like I have my place in the community too.  I have that feeling every time I see people not from church around town.  And it makes me realize how much Athens has really become home- and how much I'm going to miss it.  Tonight and last night too, though.  Both nights we got together with church people for supper and just to be together.  I love the closeness that we all feel.  Something that tends to lack in a bigger church like Roanoke.  I do love Roanoke, don't get me wrong.  I realize there's plenty of benefits being in a big church.  But oh how I will miss these times with my Athens church family. 
Sidenote:  We decided to night that we wanted to sing.  Usually if we sing we just sing songs we know from memory.  Tonight we whipped out the Zion's Harp!  I really like those books, and we don't use them here.  So I guess there's one thing that I'll be glad for once I'm back north:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the big vs. small church atmosphere. But, Athens loss is our gain.
Love you Sarah, and will be praying for a smooth transition. Hope your week is good.
Jamie

P.S. Haley says Hi ;-)

Erin said...

I love going out in Mandeville and seeing people I know... It makes me feel like I belong a little more and that I don't stick out that much... and then someone yells HEY WHITEY!... then realization hits... YEP I will always stick out:)
and I totally understand transitioning from small church of MAYBE 20 on a good Sunday to the overwhelming feeling of Goodfield on a normal Sunday:) Storming. I love you.