Monday, April 02, 2007

Another Amazing Trip

Well, Jamaica has come and gone for another year. Always a sad thing. Another countdown has started for next year. Only what- 358 days until Blast off? But yes, it was incredible- again. I made it to Nashville safe and sound and checked into the airport about 4:30 in the morning. My flights were all uneventful and I landed in Kingston about 10:30. I was one of the first ones through immigration and by the time I was out, my luggage was waiting for me. I was the first one through customs and so it just really didn't take long at all to get outside and wait for Maria Lawrence (the school principal) to pick me up. Well, she didn't know for sure what time I was getting in, mixed with lunch hour traffic Jamaica style, mixed with the national cricket tournament being held in Kingston so I sat outside until noon. But I wasn't scared or nothing. It was kinda fun to just sit and watch people. But I was glad to see her show up by the time she finally got there. I worked for about 10 minutes on Monday. But right after I got to the worksite it started pouring down rain and they were done for the day. Tuesday and Wednesday were big days. We poured a second story floor and in order to beat the rain we got up at 4:30 both mornings so we could be done by mid afternoon. So it was kind of intense for me anyways. I was thankful for the 9:30 lights out. Thursday was our Ocho Rios day. It was all right I guess. It rained off and on all day and there were a handful of us who just really had the been there done that attitude and weren't too excited. But it turned out okay. We just sat on the beach and played euchre and then went up to the market and walked around for awhile. Thursday night was the Hands of Praise program. Always a tear jerker. Followed by our ice cream party that we always have with the kids. They know who we are and they look forward to it every year. Every year we help get ready for their big track and field day but we never are around to see it. But this year it all worked out so that's what we did on Friday. It was so much fun. It's a really big deal for the kids. They have Spirit week and take their races very seriously. And they're all really good runners. They all come out in their best tennis shoes, but then end up taking them off to run. And they're fast. Really fast. I'm sure if I raced them they would lap me several times. Friday night we were able to stay up late and enjoy our last night. Saturday our flight didn't leave until early afternoon so we were able to get up about 8, have breakfast, clean up a little and just relax for a little while. Except for the Gridley group who had to work because they left yesterday. I'm at the library so I have to cut this short. But as all of you who have been on work trips know, you just can't describe it to someone. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures this weekend when I'm home for Easter. I'm am ever so thankful for a short work week! Okay I really gotta go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously no worries. :) i miss you sarah hodel. lookin' forward to pics.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see you this weekend. Guess what I just found out. THe pizza place isn't open for lunch on Saturdays. So i guess sat. will always have to be Docs. I have been craving pizza place lunch for awhile though. A sub sandwich or somethin. Have a good week. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Yes it was an awesome week! Great memories. By the way, I decided that I'm going to keep that cd... hehehe, so there :) Um yeah, I'm headed out now to shop for the items I left in Jamaica to refill my fav's.... I'll get that cd out here this week for it. We listened to it on the way home from Ft. Laud - one of the songs is hilarious. I'm sure Lid has told you about it by now. Have a great short week. Happy Easter to you and your fam...

jeremy

Anonymous said...

how was your tuna pocket....

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you called me. It seriously just made my day. I'm glad Jamaica went well. I really wish I would have been there. Like you said, in another year or so when I finally get done with nursing school, I'm totally going with you. I miss Jamaica. I just realized its been over three years. How sad is that? Anyway, I'll hopefully be sein' lots of you this weekend...Friday at Good Friday services, Saturday for lunch and Hodel Easter, and Sunday at church...YAY!