Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Never Ending Saga Of The Couch

Back in the day- back in ooohhhhhh, say, 2002, I bought a couch.  It was my grandpa's couch that I got on his estate sale.  I loved that old couch.  Between my grandpa's house and my first two apartments, there were many good memories associated with it.  It was Big and Bulky and HEAVY!! It had a pullout bed which was great for when extra people were spending the night, however, it was not an easy piece of furniture to maneuver.  Somewhere in some box I have a picture of some friends hauling it over a second story balcony to transport it to my second apartment, because that was way easier than trying to take it down the stairs and around the corner.
  
Then I had a 7 1/2 year separation from my beloved couch.  My brother and sister-in-law kept it at their house while I lived in Alabama and even after I moved back and was living at my parents, with the intent to give it back once I had a place of my own.  When Danny and I got engaged, there was no question- the couch would come with me.  Finally the day for reunification had come!  We hauled it out to Indiana with plans to put it in our basement.  We (meaning any man who had a part in moving it- not me!) were quickly reminded of how Big and Bulky and HEAVY it was, but somehow after much grunting, groaning, and finagling, managed to get it down the steps and around the tight corner. WOE to the person who had to try and get it back out!  I think there was talk that if we ever move out of this house, the couch just might stay.  


Then came the house fire.  The company that stored all of our things while we waited for the house to be rebuilt said they tried and tried to get it out of the basement, but it was too hard.  Since the couch was salvageable, they said they would just come to the house to clean it rather than clean and store it in Ft. Wayne.  In the meantime, the couch became a catch all during the construction process.  It was filled with tools and collected dust like it was going out of style.  But it was just dust and we had full confidence that it could be cleaned.  Until the new carpet was laid.  One day we showed up at the house to look at the carpet, and the beloved couch was in the dumpster!  After an (extremely brief) mourning session, we moved on and started thinking about buying a couch for the basement.  We weren't super thrilled, as furniture shopping in the past had caused some stress.  But it was the best option, so off we went!  

We finally settled on one that we really liked, and were excited when delivery day came.  Between living room, kitchen, and now basement furniture, we had visited the same place in Ft. Wayne about 5 or 6 times in about a month and a half (along with several other places) and we were ready to be DONE!!
  
Enter the steps and sharp corner to get to the basement.

The couch didn't fit!  Oh how those poor delivery men tried.  But it just wasn't meant to be.
By the time they left, we had a small hole in our ceiling,


a couple dents in our drywall,


and some chipped drywall along with the popcorn scraped off the ceiling.


Ugh.  So frustrating!  But we had told them to try and fit it so there really wasn't much we could do about it.  But then it was back to the furniture store.  Again.  This time with a tape measure in hand.  It was Valentine's Day, which neither of us were too thrilled about, as furniture shopping had become something FAR from romantic.  But we did it anyway:)  Gotta love reality, huh?

We found a couch that would fit, and though it wasn't something we really loved, we were satisfied.  So we bought the couch, and were told we would have to wait ten days to get it because it was out of stock, which we said was fine.  Ten days passed.  Then 20.  And finally, as of today, we have a couch!!


SO glad to be done with it!  And maybe one day I'll feel as sentimental about this one as I did the other.
RIP, old couch!

P.S.  Who knew a post about a couch could get so long?!?!

No comments: