Thursday, July 24, 2014

Our Smoke Detectors Don't Work

So I'm sure most of you reading this have heard by now that we had some unplanned and unforeseen events in our lives.  Our house got struck by lightning very early Wednesday morning.  I was in Illinois visiting family but Danny was home.  It jolted him awake and after a little investigation he saw smoke and flames and called 911.  I try not to dwell on the fact that I wasn't there when it happened because I really wish I was.  

We know we probably have a big headache and hassle in front of us but we really have nothing to complain about.  There are so many what ifs that could have made it so much worse than it is.  What if Danny went to IL with me?  What if he just decided to stay in bed after he woke up rather than going to check things out?  What if it hadn't been pouring down rain?  (The rain really helped keep it in check)

The contractor said we would be out of our house for 4-6 months.  BUT we have insurance.  We are safe.  As far as material loss, we are not loosing much at all.  Really the only thing we will lose is our living room furniture and kitchen table and chairs.  Maybe a few other things but pretty much everything that was inside the cupboards is perfectly fine.  And well, I kind of wanted new carpet anyway.

The day it happened, there was a family in my community back home that had a car accident.  Both parents and one of the sons were killed with the other son in critical care.  My heart goes out to them and my perspective is kept in check.  I'm sure there will be days in the coming months where my attitude is not great.  But for now, I just feel like praising.

We are staying at Danny's grandma's house for now.  She had heart surgery last week and will be spending several weeks in the nursing home while she recuperates.  Once she comes home we aren't sure where we'll go but we know something will work out.

All the debris in the kitchen.  By the way, I think those are sarcastic thumbs up:)  



Where the worst of the fire was, it burned through completely.



Part of the ceiling collapsed under water weight.


Our bedroom was basically untouched but we could see where it was starting to spread and head that direction.


This is as bad as it gets on the outside of the house.  A few smaller areas around the outside but not much!


And as we walked through the basement with a flashlight we saw this wall hanging and were reminded:


2 comments:

The Lehman's said...

Praying for you guys!!! Thankful you are OK. julie:)

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry that his happened to you guys. We really didn't know you lived so close to us. I would have brought you some cookies. We'll be praying for you. Dick & Lil Yergler