Wednesday, July 09, 2014

July 4 Weekend

We headed to Illinois on Thursday the 3rd and got there in time for the cruise-in, ice cream, and Roanoke fireworks.  I'm sure some people would think it's pretty lame, but there's just something about strolling down Main street when it's lined with classic cars.  Oldies playing on (very) loud speakers, and seeing all kinds of people you know.  And lots of interesting people that come out of the woodwork that I really wonder where they were bred. 
 
We stopped in at Caleri's for some ice-cream and MUCH to my devastation, there was a sign on the door saying they would be closed for lunch on Saturday.  People.  I CRAVE this place on a regular basis.  Before I moved away I frequented the establishment once or twice a week.  And each time we go back I can hardly contain my delight to go in for lunch!  So needless to say, I was crushed when I saw the sign.  BUT it helps to have friends in high places:)  And since it just happens to be owned by my cousin and her hubby, upon hearing my lament she graciously offered to make me some lunch while she was in there decorating cakes on Friday- even though it was closed because of the holiday. 
Erin- you deserve the cousin of the year award!
 
 
So Friday was spent enjoying my extra special Caleri's lunch and soaking up the sun with my cousins.  Danny was great at being the entertainer for the non napping child so the girls could enjoy our time together.
 
Friday evening we went out to eat with my parents and then to Peoria for fireworks.  With A LOT of other people.  But they sure put on a good show!

 
Sooooo many people!!!

 
Saturday night was friends night.  I got to see some friends I hadn't seen since our wedding and it was great!  There were a couple who didn't show up- ahem.... you know who you are!!!  And I'm STILL waiting for the day I can see them again!
 
Other than being severely disappointed that my bro, sis-in-law, and their kiddos weren't there, it was a great weekend! 

No comments: