Sunday, August 26, 2012

Staring Down 30

One week from tomorrow I will turn 30.  Aaauuuugghhhh!!!!!  Shouldn't I be more like, 22?  That's about what I feel like.  But, time slows for nobody and here I am, staring it right in the eye.  Sound dramatic?  Maybe.  I have to admit, when I turned 29 I had a mini freak out session about the fact that 30 was closing in pretty quick and I'm single.  But now I can honestly and whole heartedly say that God has done a huge work in my heart and I'm definitely over the freak out session. He has really helped me focus on the perks and benefits of singleness and I'm really okay! Well, except for the occasional regression into freak out mode.  But let's get off of that tangent.
This weekend was the beginning of my celebrating.  Last summer I ate at a restaurant with my family that really had the best burger I've ever tasted.  Not even kidding.  Everyone else agreed.  Ever since then, I've wanted to go back but the restuarant is two hours away.  So for my birthday, I went there with my friends and we spent the night at a hotel.  So fun!!  Then on the way home the next day we stopped at an outlet mall for some good deals:)  Here we are....

A little chaotic trying to get everyone organized for a group shot


Yay!  There we are!  I love us:)


Sometimes ya just gotta show off your tough side, ya know?


So many memories were made.  I have to share a story which might get a little long, but bear with me.  It was really funny.  So, when we went to check in to the hotel, it was a complete disaster.  There were supposed to be two rooms, but there was one.  And it was booked under the wrong name, the wrong address, and there was no credit card number on record.  We got everything settled but through all that mess I got to be buddies with the guy at the front counter, who was probably in his mid to late 60's.  Anyway, we got up to our rooms and were having quite the time figuring out the lamps in between the two beds.  We tried every different light switch combination we could think of but those lamps would not turn on.  So I called the front desk and the conversation went something like this:

Me:  John!  Hey, it's Sarah up in room 316.  Uh, this is a dumb question, but we can't figure out how to turn the lights on.
John:  Have you turned the knob in between the two lamps?
M: Yeah and it's definitely not working.  (meanwhile, someone suggests making sure it's plugged in and at the very same time he responded...)
J: Well, is it plugged in?
M:  Uh..... now it is!!  Okay, I'm dumb but thanks for your help!!

We were all ready to go to the pool at this point and started to walk out the door when the phone rang.

M: Hello?
J: Sarah?
M: Yeah?
J: Hey, I just wanted to let you know, that tonight when you go to bed, if you want to sleep under the covers, you have to pull them back first.
M: Shut up! 

Then I hung up on him.  We laughed and laughed and laughed and the night just kept getting better from that point.  But don't worry, I'll refrain from typing out every story:)

Saturday night after we shopped we had game night at a friend's house.  They host game night every so often and it usually turns into an extreeeeemely late night, but one we always look very forward to.  When I got there, there was a sign on the door!  Their son wanted to make a welcome sign for everyone but then his mom told him it was almost my birthday so he added a happy birthday sign too.  So sweet!


There's still more celebrating to come, too.  At first I felt a little dumb about all the different little parties I'm having but then I decided birthdays only happen once a year and milestones only happen once every ten years so I'm just going to soak it up and enjoy it!

5 comments:

Staci said...

Where do I get this burger?

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I just love you! So glad to be a part of all the birthday fun :) Definitely too many good stories to tell them all at once!

Em

Anonymous said...

Nothing like celebrating your birthday.....early.....Hey: September 4th we could have a party celebrating your 31st birthday!! :)
Cass

Anonymous said...

I was laughing while I read the hotel story...so funny! :) Hope you enjoy all your little birthday parties!!
Bekah K

Erin said...

Mother Molly and I had a good laugh after reading your story. Glad you had fun. Hopefully you found some cute school cloths.
love and blessings!