Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What A Journey:)

One year ago today I moved back from Alabama.  I had so many mixed emotions at the time but I felt completely peaceful that God had led me back to Illinois.  The next 365 days did not go quite like I thought they would.  I really thought that I was going to start up with classes in preparation for the Occupational Therapy Assistant program at ICC.  I was really sad about leaving Athens but I had started to get excited about this new chapter in my life.  I figured that once I found a job I would then find an apartment and move out of my parents house.  I did not foresee myself losing my excitement over the OTA program.  I did not foresee myself not getting into the program.  Nor did I forsee myself still living with my parents a year later.  I have not slid right back into life in Illinois like I thought I would.  Not at all.  And most of all, if you would have told me last year that I would spend this summer in Mexico I would have thought you were nuts.  I originally started taking my Spanish class thinking just a base knowlege of Spanish in the medical field would be beneficial.  The thought of going to Morelia crossed my mind back in the fall but I just figured that was a really big maybe for much later on in life.  But the doors completely opened up for me to go and I figured it was now or never.  From not getting into the program, to having a part time second shift job that I wasn't overly committed to, to seeing how God provided financially, there was nothing that made me think I shouldn't go.  Now, exactly one year later, I am ready to go back to Illinois again and see what God has in store.  I definitely feel like I'm back at square one like I was last summer in wondering where in the world he will lead.  What doors will open up?  Where will I be in another year from now?  Lots of unknowns right now.  And that's okay.  Not always easy and fun, sometimes a little frustrating, but okay.
Actually as I'm typing this the song that says "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord..." is playing.  So as I wait for God to provide me with some direction, I know that this time of waiting and wondering is a good faith strengthener.
I was supposed to be flying home tonight.  I was supposed to be arriving in Pontiac right about now by bus from Midway airport and get picked up by my cousin.  I was supposed to go see my friends tomorrow.  But instead I am spending another night in Denver with a nice voucher sitting in my purse:)  They asked for volunteers and hey, I don't have anything pressing to get home to so why not?  I had just told my aunt on the way to the airport that they always look for willing volunteers on the flights that I really need to get back for some reason.  I was almost hoping they would need people to get bumped because I sure wouldn't mind having a voucher!  As I was boarding the plane and buckling my seatbelt I was a little bummed that there would be no voucher for me.  Then a lady came on at the very last minute and said she was looking for volunteers to be bumped.  $300 plus the amount I paid for my ticket.  Plus a free flight back to Midway.  I was pretty quick to jump up:)  The only downside is that I watched the plane pull away from the gate with all my luggage in it.  Even my carryon luggage because it was all so fast and last minute that I completely forget to grab it from the overhead bins.  But I gave a nice detailed description so hopefully it gets to the right spot.
Hopefully the next time I post it will be with lots of pictures from the summer:)

No comments: