Sunday, May 29, 2011

Jumbo Days

Maybe it was becasue they actually named it this year rather than just calling it the Roanoke Festival.  Maybe it was because I haven't really been there the last four years and just missed it.  Whatever the reason, I was pretty excited for Jumbo Days.  Now, for anyone who doesn't know, we have a mountain in Roanoke.  Well, of sorts.  It's really just a big pile of dirt leftover from the coal mining days but it has been deemed Mt. Jumbo.  I think I've only climbed it once in my life.  And it only took about 10 or 15 minutes to get to the top.  And it only took that long because there's not really a trail to follow, you have to just blaze your own.
Anyway.  Back to Jumbo Days.  Due to the fact that I don't particularly enjoy throwing up, I generally chose not to go on rides.  However, I do enjoy the ferris wheel and I was bound and determined that I would go on it.  I got a picture from the top.... and then my camera died.  So the pictures I had envisioned myself taking the rest of the time were not to be.


Saturday morning was the annual parade.  After sitting overnight, I managed to squeeze a few more pictures out of my camera.  Umbrellas were a nice accessory to have during the parade.  That there is my cousin's husband and son.  With MY umbrella.  But it didn't ever completely down pour and there was no lightning or thunder so the parade went on!

Boni, here's the only picture of the cupcake I got.  Sorry- it's not a very good one.  My cousin who has the cafe/bakery I work at once a week made a giant cupcake out of cardboard, packing foam and white material to enter in the parade.  Along with a red balloon for the cherry on top.  And sequins glued on for sprinkles.  The picture isn't that great but at least you get the idea.


After the parade we went up to the carnival for lunch and then I had to leave for work.  Another cousin and his girlfriend were singing for the afternon entertainment and I was pretty bummed to miss out.  They have great aspirations to move to Nashville and try to make it big.
Now Jumbo Days are over for the year.  Here's to next year!
:)

2 comments:

Karen and Joe said...

sounds so fun! i love small town fesitivities!! :-)

Boni said...

That's the only picture I've seen of the cupcake so, thanks Sarah!