Wednesday, May 11, 2011

El Planos

As you can see from the title of the post, my Spanish skills are lacking.  Which is why I'm going to Morelia, MX this summer for language school!  I started taking Spanish when I moved back from Athens because I planned on doing the whole occupational therapy thing and I thought knowing some Spanish in the medical field could be very beneficial.  Plus, I wanted to learn it just for the sake of knowing a little bit when I go on work teams.  But as we all know, things change.  The OTA plan is no longer but I did discover that I really enjoyed learning the Spanish language.  Last summer if you would have said "Next summer you'll go to Mexico for five weeks to learn Spanish", I would have scoffed in your face.  But things have just really worked out for me to take this opportunity.  I'm planning to leave July 1 and take classes for 5 weeks before heading up to CVE to visit Joel and Kristi, then stopping in Phoenix to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins before swinging by Denver to visit the small amount of family I have out there.  Hopefully followed by a roadtrip to the eastcoast with Cassie but that's a whole nother story. 
The inevitable question when I tell people the scoop is "So.... are you going to move to Mexico to do mission work?"  For now?  No.  I'm definitely open to it though should I feel God leading in that direction.  I do know that I want to use the language somehow whether in the states or in Mexico.  I don't want to just learn it and forget it.  I know there's lots of opportunity.  There were plenty of times in Athens that I wished I knew it because of the number of Mexicans living there and the number of times I needed/wanted to ineract with them but was very limited.
I'm excited and nervous.  I got the information for the family I'll be staying with and have already stalked out their kids on facebook:)  I'm excited to just be able to check out of life up here for awhile and excited to really experiece a different culture.  I'm nervous about communication (obviously) and I'm nervous that I will fail.  Just that fear of "what if I go down and fall really far behind in the classes and just can't seem to pick it up anymore" type of thing.  Because if I'm going to learn it, I want to learn it right and I want to learn it well.  I just need to get over it though and know that probably most people have those same thoughts and it's out of everyone's comfort zone to just start talking in a language they don't know very well.
Welp, didn't mean for that to be a confession session where I bare my soul but sometimes that just happens:)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Very Exciting! Storming the gates for you as God continues to open your eyes to how He is moving! Love and Blessings!