Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Grocery Store Excursion

We keep a supply of pop at work and everybody chips in to pay for it. We had racked up about 46 dollars (yes, we are popaholics) and decided that it was time to restock the fridge. So I got nominated to go. So after counting all the money (46.61 which turned into 46.60 after I dropped a penny and it rolled into a vent) I headed off the the IGA. First thing I do is lock my keys in my car. Great. Yesterday I put a little magnetic box with a spare key IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF MY CAR. Go in, get 11 fridgemates. 3 Mt. Dew's, 3 Diet Cokes and one each of Cherry Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, A&W Root Beer, Sprite and Lipton Ice Tea with lemon. Had the lady with the phone book look up the non emergency number for the police station, called the cops to come unlock my car and the headed to the checkout to buy the pop. The total was 39.01. I paid for the first 21 dollars with the cash we had but all the rest was in change. And it wasn't sorted so we had to dump it all out on the counter and count it while people kept lining up behind me. And the whole time I was sporting a lovely display of sweet potatoes on the front of my shirt. And the bagger was an AC from my home church of Roanoke. By the time we got out to my car it was almost unlocked. And the nice cop said all it costs is a smile. I can afford that so that's what I gave him. Wow. Two posts in one day. I'm overdoing it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine my suprise. I was just checking your blog in hopes you posted another even though it was the day after. Two. I love it.

Anonymous said...

so who was the dude from Roanoke?

you crack me up... but don't feel bad, I just paid for ice-cream at Cold Stone w/ a roll of dimes... hey money is money.

Luke said...

"all it cost was a smile", that's better than the shirt off your back.

However, if all you were wearing was a smile...then I suppose those two could be very similar...

I'm not sure why I'm still typing.

Angie said...

luke, i find that rather inappropriate...

anyway. sarah.
NEXT time you go get soda.
stop by the bank.

we will count your change and give you bills...FOR FREE.

just a suggestion...

then you don't have to annoy the IGA checkout person nearest you...

sarah said...

Yeah if I would have been thinking I would have just gone to the bank that was IN the IGA. Dumb kid.