Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Corn. And More Corn.

When I as younger I dreaded corn day each year.  The thought of being woke up earlier than normal so that I could help shuck wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow load of corn just did not bring joy to my soul.  As I got older I started finding ways to get out of corn day.  Typically, I was conveniently working during such a time.  But I must be an official grown up now because I decided on my own accord that I wanted to once again participate in corn day.  There's a strong possibility that it's because it gave me an excuse to see my family but we'll just pretend that it's because I'm really mature and stuff.

So last weekend my parents and grandma came out to visit and confirmed that corn day was to be that Wednesday.  So I rode back with them to spend a couple days in IL before Danny came out to join me.  It was a great time!

Summer got to spend lots of time with her IL cousins.


And I got to see my cousins too!  I rode along with Angie for her weekly grocery shopping excursion which we decided required a stop for ice cream at Uncle Bob's.  Which is some of the best ice cream ever!


My trip also included a pool party at my aunt's house with more family.  It had been planned for quite awhile and I had high hopes that corn day would coincide with it because I really really wanted to go.  So I was a little bit thrilled when it did!


Then came the once dreaded corn day.  We shucked and we shucked and we shucked and we shucked.  And then we shucked a little more.  Oh that pile there?  That's about half of what we did.


Even Summer helped out!


She got her ear of corn shucked in record time.  And made friends with the fly who took up residence on her forehead.  


Raising up another generation of kids getting sucked into corn day.  They're not old enough yet to know that it's not really that fun!  Well, maybe it's a little bit fun since you have everyone working together.  Haley did a great job helping fill freezer boxes.  And Laney had the very important job of stacking them in stacks of five.  She took it very seriously:)


We left around 4:00 when the party was still going strong, but we didn't want to get home too late.  About the time we got home (4 1/2 hours later), we got word that they were finally finishing up and that they had done 292 pints of corn.

That, my friends, is A LOT. OF. CORN.  And the reason behind my corn day dread as a child.

But now we have some deliciousness stocked up in our freezer for the next year so I shan't complain!

And the day after we got home we officially hit two months!  I love this girl:)


No comments: