Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Loading Out

Ever see a truck filled with birds driving along the highway?  Being raised on a turkey farm, I am pretty accustomed to such a sight.  Tonight was one of our load out nights and so I thought I'd do a little documentation.  The poor quality of pictures is due to all the dust this job entails.

The first picture is the finished product.  I just wasn't thinking when I loaded that picture first.  Semi trucks with these open and empty cages come rolling into our yard a couple hours before load out time.

When it's time to start loading, the pull up along side the loader.  First, we (meaning my dad and brother) prepare by setting up boards to section off small groups of turkeys at a time.  They shake sticks with garbage bags tied to the end at the turkeys to get them to go where they need to go.  Eventually, they get the turkeys to walk onto the loader which has a conveyer belt that takes them to the end where other guys are waiting to put them onto the trucks.

There's usually 3 or 4 guys inside moving the turkeys along and then there's 3 guys outside loading them.  One guy runs the loader which goes up and down to match the height of the cages on the truck and the other two wrestle the birds into the cages.  Personally, I've helped out on the inside, but the outside?  No thanks.  Those guys usually come away with cuts and bruises from 40 pound birds flapping their wings in their faces.  Not my idea of a good time.  Not to mention I would probably get worn out after about 3 turkeys.

I think "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe" could do a taping here.  I mean, especially the morning after.  You wake up with boogers in your eyes, nose and lungs and spend the next couple days hacking up all the dust you have inhaled.  I act like I'm a pro, but really I haven't helped out in years. 


Erin D, the next pictures are just for you since I know how much you love birds:)  The first: all the turkeys in the back of the building, waiting their turn.

Fluffing their feathers is how they keep themselves cool.  It's supposed to freeze tonight so I'm not sure why they're hot.  But then again, if I'd probably be sweating too if I was on the way to get butchered and processed into lunch meat!

And let me just mention- you should buy Sara Lee brand turkey from the deli or wherever you may buy turkey from.  There's always that chance that it could have come straight from Hodel Turkey Farm.

2 comments:

Erin said...

freak me out! what a scary scary process. I hope you are having a great week. I love you. Blessings:)

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting coming from a truck driver :)