Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Newest Neighbor

Unfortunately, my newest neighbor has taken up residence right under my front step in the form of a black widow spider. I had noticed a web awhile back but just left it there until I thought I saw the spider. So I turned my car lights on it and went at it with a broom but didn't find anything. So I figured it was just a dirt clod and an old web. But a few days later the web was rebuilt. But I never saw the spider. And I knocked it down again. Then Monday night I got home and there was no mistaking the bubble butt spider and the red hourglass shape on it's back. So I watched it for awhile wondering the best way to kill it. I didn't really want to try and step on it cause it's so big and cruncy, and with my luck, I'd miss and it would bite me in the process. And then I would die. I threw a piece of mulch at it trying to get it more out in the open but instead she crawled into her little hole and I haven't seen her since. So I keep watchin and if I see her again I'll probably take a can of Raid to her. But last night my sleep was really restless because I kept dreaming about it and it kept biting me and I kept having to rush to the emergency room. She bit me once on my belly and three times on my feet in my dream. Maybe I should name her. What's a good name for a black widow spider? Thelma, maybe? I don't know. I kinda want to see her again though because I had never seen one before. Just one more time before I kill her. Because I really don't need her to lay eggs and I really don't need a family of them under my front step. I can't think of that many names.

7 comments:

Nick said...

Charlotte (as in Charlotte's web) could work, though you might not want to give it a happy sounding name as it could reduce your willingness to dispose of it.

Jenny said...

*shudder* that sounds awful. I hate spiders.

Anonymous said...

Orpha.


I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Ewww...that sounds horrible. I'm sorry you had bad dreams. Yucky plucky. Good choice with the Raid, though my spectracide of choice is Black Flag.

Goose bumps...

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sarah.

Well, I think you should name her Sabrina. It reminds me of witches which in turn reminds me of spiders.

But.

I have read it is highly unlikely to die from a black widow bite, especially if you are a healthy adult.

So have fun with your new friend!

Mandy said...

Ummmm....a name for the dear ole spider. I like Bertha. But the question is, does she look like a Bertha? I hope you don't have any more bad dreams about spiders, and I really hope you don't get bitten! I hope you don't miss me too much. I really miss you! Love you!

Anonymous said...

My mamma suggests you forego the naming and head straight for the Raid. She also suggests getting a bug spray of the type that kills for up to 8 weeks that way you're for sure covered.

She hates spiders...can you tell?

hahahaha :)