Sunday, April 05, 2020

My Tribute To Grandma

I keep trying to think of all the things I want to say about Grandma, but the words and thoughts are not flowing.  But I guess I don't need to say too much.  Just acknowledge the sweet, prim, and proper grandma that she was.  Oh, and with a side of Spunk!  Sometimes the things that came out of her mouth were hilarious!!  She loved us all dearly and treated us in a way that we never questioned that.  She struggled a lot with memory thanks to brain aneurysm she had in her 50's.  But toward the end God gave her the clarity to really share her excitement about heaven.  The last real conversation I had with her was over Face Time and though her voice and body were weak she talked clearly and openly about what was to come.

I don't have too many pictures of her.  There's a few good ones out there but grandma's typical reaction to seeing a camera was putting her hand up or turning her head away:)  She was more than happy to learn there would be no visitation with people filing through and looking at her!

But I do have this one that I love, even though it's blurry.  Grandma loved babies.  This was Sawyer's first Christmas and she held him and talked to him, oblivious to what else was going on around her:)


There will always be things that remind me of grandma.  Snickers Bars and the original Chapstick in a black tube being two big ones.  You could always count on her having those two things, though the Snickers were usually hidden somewhere.  I'm not sure there was ever a Christmas where at least one grandkid didn't gift her some of those:)

She will be greatly missed, that is for sure.  But more than anything, we are all so happy for her to be able to go on home.

1 comment:

sarah.flyingkites said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. What a sweet tribute to your grandma. I love that picture because I have so many sweet memories from the Roanoke nursing home :)