Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Birthday Present Failures

Well I have no pictures to show for this post, so you'll have to use your imagination.  And just to preface things, it might be a "need to be there" type of story.  But I'll share it anyway just for kicks and giggles:)

First fail: oatmeal creme pies

Fun fact about me, I love oatmeal creme pies.  I rarely have them, mostly because if I'm going to have those kind of calories (which I do far too often), I would rather use them on homemade goodies instead of processed boxed stuff.  But I do like them and Danny got me some for my birthday.  YAY!  However, thanks to the uncle of one of the other missionaries, we have hundreds of oatmeal creme pies in "the red door".  The red door is a communal storage room filled with things mostly from Midwest Food Bank.  We didn't know about the creme pies though, so that was only a fail.  Unlike the ultimate fail.

The ultimate fail starts with a backstory.  Back in May when I was shopping for the sea container, I had no idea what I was doing.  I found myself in sort of a mind numbing state while I put food into the cart that we might possibly wish we had when we got to Haiti.  When we were packing up our house, we put some of the food from our pantry in boxes to go out on the next container, which is currently on it's way.  The rest we gave away.  I had our microwave popcorn in the giveaway pile and Danny said we should take some along.  I said he could take a few if he wanted but I was pretty sure I had already sent some on the May sea container.  So he packed a few bags in his suitcase.  When we got here and started unpacking all the boxes that were already here, we found two JUMBO boxes of microwave popcorn!  So when I opened up my present to find a box of microwave popcorn, we just laughed and laughed!  His whole idea was a movie night present.  It was the popcorn and peanut m&m's, and a movie.  So it was very well intended.  But it was pretty funny!  And the real kicker is that we don't even eat that much popcorn!  Typically we buy one box of boy scout popcorn and barely make it through that box before the scouts come around again the next year!  So why I bought those two jumbo boxes?  I'll never know.  But we will have enough popcorn to last us the whole time we're here I'm pretty sure!

Movie night, anyone?

2 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

It's too bad you aren't around this year. The scouts are doing a Pancake/Sausage breakfast instead of popcorn sales...lol.

Sounds like you guys are SET for life :)

Anonymous said...

Love the missionary fuzzy brain!

Klint