Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Start Of A New Journey Together


Well now.  Isn't this fun?!?!  I've waited a long time to be able to do a post about this topic and here we are!  I met Danny back in 2009 when I was living with is sister down in Alabama.  He came to visit a few times, and I visited her back at her house in IN a few times and got to know him a little through that.  And Cassie talked about him constantly so even though I didn't personally know him well, I knew a lot about him.  I guess for me, I've been feeling for about a year now that I should be married.  The desire was always there, but recently it's been more of a burden.  And when I say burden, I don't mean that in a bad way.  I just mean I felt in my heart that God was saying it was time.  However, nothing was happening.  This next part I'm purposely going to be vague just for the sake of all involved...  I felt pretty strongly that I was supposed to marry someone and had gone so far as to pursue that.  Since I did feel like I was supposed to be getting married.  I had let that person know how I felt and was waiting for a response when I found out I had a different proposal.  Now, I had never had a proposal before in my life, so the timing of it all blew me away.  I couldn't decide if I thought it was God saying "No, this is what I want for you", or if it was a test of faith, or if it was just a big inconvenience.  At this point, I didn't know who the proposal was from, and for the first couple days after finding out about it, I was not wavering from the original marriage pursuit.  But after almost a week, I felt pretty strongly that I should pray about the proposal.  I was so confused though, and begged God to make things perfectly clear.  I talked with the other person who, for various reasons, told me I should move on.  I was actually really happy to hear that because it took away all the confusion and I was able to confidently move forward without questioning things.  Regardless of what had happened with the other situation, the fact remained that I still felt like I should be married, and without even knowing who the proposal was from, I was pretty sure I was going to say yes.  Thanks to his sister, I suspected it could be Danny, but I wasn't sure.  Obviously, it was:)  When I heard his name it was kind of just a matter of letting it sink in and waiting to see if the peace that had settled in my heart remained.  I did want a little confirmation from God because, you know, it's a pretty big deal to get married and because that's just how I roll.  I was driving home from church on a Wednesday night and the radio preacher (who was someone I had never even heard of before) was talking all about marriage, speaking directly to the women, and was quoting scripture after scripture about marriage.  That was good enough for me and I gave my answer back the next day!
 
 
 
 
For Danny, well, he always thought he would marry someone from his home church, and he for sure never thought he would marry me!  He also had been praying about getting married for about a year (I think...) and one day God spoke very clearly and directly to his heart saying that I was the person he should marry.  Just as I was blindsided by his proposal, he was completely blindsided by that thought.  He spent some time praying about it and then decided to bring it up to Cassie (his sister).  They had never ever talked about me in that way before, which makes me love the conversation they had even more.  Basically, Cassie knew that Danny was praying about marriage and before he even said my name she said something like "You've been thinking about Sarah, haven't you?"  Turns out God had spoken to her about stuff too:)  So, he asked, and that's where my story takes off. 

There is no doubt in my mind that this is completely a work of God!  It was pretty unexpected for both of us, but it's been awesome to move forward knowing that it's so right.  And I'm really excited!!!  So, there you have it.  If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment and I can talk about that in another blog post.

11 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

wow! thanks for writing this out! I am so excited for the two of you!

Love how God works...

Hannah said...

Sarah, I am absolutely thrilled for you! He is a lucky guy. When my mom told me that you were engaged, she wanted me to guess. My first guess was Danny. Needless to say....I was pretty proud to see that I guessed right. Praying for both of you. And counting on seeing you around Bluffton some!

Wendy said...

So happy for you Sarah! Love ya

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing how God brought two people together! I'm super excited for you two!

Joel Virkler said...

So I like never go on Facebook anymore except to make those annoying messages go away. Imagine my surprise at your pic/story at the top of the newsfeed. Congrats cousin, may the rabbits continue multiplying (wait was that Angie's branch of the tree, oh well). In Leo this month, my the memories. Ed Graf is still talking to me after all the crazy pranks. Hey, i didn't start it, I just finished the job ;)

Jenny Bertsch said...

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Sue Schifferer Aeschleman said...

Sarah, that was such a " you, God and Danny" story and testimony that no one can ever deny it or take away. ALWAYS remember what God did to bring you both together. It was touching and made me smile.

Erin said...

Love! My heart is overflowing with Joy for you. :)
Love and Blessings!

Jenny said...

So I got to hear this exciting news in Athens! Congrats! :)

Kathy Kupferschmid said...

Was hoping I would get to hear "the story"!!! Praying for you both...makes me just smile every time I think about it! :) Love ya!

Britni said...

Appreciate you writing out your story! I love this :)