Monday, December 24, 2012

Sunday School Disaster

Yesterday in Sunday School I planned to have a birthday party for Jesus with my 3 year olds.  My mom had made cakes for the nursing home and had one left over so I frosted it asked mom to frost it for me (she even added colorful sprinkles) and took it to church.  I was feeling so organized for once.  I had everything I needed all in one bag that I could carry in with me, rather than a stack of things flying everywhere like I normally do.  Plates, spoons, knife, candles, little presents for the kiddos..... I was set.  We had our story and did our paper, then we lit the candles.  And then sparks started flying off the candles.  I accidentally grabbed trick candles!!  All but one of my kids freaked out, one of them so bad that she went back upstairs to her parents!  The others calmed down pretty quick.  All I could do was laugh.  If you've ever had trick candles, there's nothing you can do except keep trying to blow them out until they die.  I would blow one out then lick my fingers and touch the wick to try and get it to stop.  Over and over and over again.  Thankfully one of my kiddos had brought his grandma to visit for the day so she helped with the crying children and went to the bathroom to get wet paper towels for me.  We doused the candles and that was that.  The cake was dispersed and the kids were happy and said it tasted really good.  But in all that commotion we never did get around to singing "Happy Birthday"!  Maybe next year?

2 comments:

dan and tess said...

Haha! What a story!

sarah.flyingkites said...

lol...oh wow, I love this story so much. Thanks for the laugh!