Thursday, September 07, 2017

Kick Off To The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

When is the most wonderful time of the year, you ask?  Well, it begins on September 1 and doesn't end until December 31.  Starting off with a holiday weekend which also is my birthday weekend and ending with New Year's Eve.  All the in between with fall being amazing, Thanksgiving, and Christmas make it hard to say which part is the best.  So I say it's just all the best time of the year!

So this year we had thought we would take a little getaway with our little family but as it turns out, every one jacks up their prices over a holiday weekend.  Since we had already taken a trip to Alabama over Memorial Day weekend, we decided to just head out to Illinois to be with my family, and to have my mom babysit while Danny and I just did a day trip.  Turned out to be a great decision!

I chose to open my presents from Danny on Friday before we left rather than haul them with us.  He did good!  I got my favorite chapstick that I have been out of and unable to find for a long time, tickets to a Christmas concert, and a fall wreath for our front door!  All things I love.  However, after he ordered our concert tickets, we had a family Christmas get scheduled for that same night.  So they are for sale!  Natalie Grant and Danny Gokey on Friday December 15 in Ft. Wayne.  Let one of us know if you want them!


Anyway.  So Saturday morning we got up and headed just about 45 minutes north of my parents to Starved Rock State Park for the day.  There is a horse back riding place just a little way from the park and we have been talking about doing that since we got married.  We finally did it!  It was your typical follow the trail in a single file line place but that's alright with me.  I'd rather do that than try to ride around unguided just waiting for my horse to start galloping somewhere!


Then we headed to the park for a picnic lunch and some hiking.  I've been there plenty of times and have never seen it so full!  Holiday weekend plus people trying to fill up the last days of summer meant for really full trails.  But it was still fun and really pretty!

There are lookouts over the Illinois river to climb up to,


and canyons with waterfalls (which were all dried up) to hike down into.


Which means that all the in between parts are filled with stairs.  OOOOHHHHH the stairs!  Back in the day before I ever had kids and was in shape, the stairs weren't too big of a deal.  They're kind of a big deal now.


While on a trail that followed the river, Danny found this place in a rock formation that he thought I should climb into.  So I did, with much effort.  While he was taking this picture, a family walked past and their little boy said "the mom is stuck!"  Yes, little boy, the mom is stuck:)  At least, she felt stuck at the time!


Meanwhile our kiddos had a great day with grandpa and grandma.  They got to be outside a lot which is a dream come true,


and Summer got to try out the new massage chair which she thought was pretty funny!


Once we got back, we finished off our day with supper with some of my cousins and their kids.  It was fun but there was much chaos and a few very grumpy children which kept our relaxing socialization to a minimum.


Sunday was my actual birthday and we had plans to go to one of the local homeless missions where my brother took his turn having their evening service.  Due to a busy weekend and plans to go out for ice cream after the service, I had no birthday cake.  (A huge shame because cake is my very favorite dessert and I can eat several pieces some guilt free on my birthday.)  But since my mom thought I should at least blow out a candle, I got a birthday tomato while the family sang:)  Oh, and if you'll notice, I even was wearing the birthday shirt!


I did finally get dessert on my birthday, and it happened to be one of my very favorite ice cream places that I only get once in a while when we are out there.


Monday we were able to have a laid back morning around the house then went out to lunch with my family before hitting the road.  So?  We didn't get our little family getaway like we originally planned.  But I'm sure glad things turned out like they did!

Things I wish I had a picture of:

Saturday night after the kids were in bed, we went to my brother and sis-in-laws house where all her sisters were for the evening.  When Nate and Jamie got married, they kinda became like extra sis-in-laws to me.  I love being able to spend time with them!

Saturday evening at my cousin's- she, her sister, and myself took a little walk together to deliver some dessert to our parents where they were having their own little get together.  My uncle came driving by, thinking he was supposed to be picking up the dessert himself.  So we stuck our thumbs out and he gave us a ride in the back of his pick up the rest of the way.  We were hootin' and hollerin' and acting like a bunch of giddy high school girls.  It was only about a two minute ride but it was fun while it lasted!

No comments: